Saturday, August 1, 2009

Maruichi

丸一の黒ラーメン

Kuro Ramen at Maruichi in Milpitas is my favorite. Shoyu (醤油, soy sauce) ramen is a bit too simple さっぱりしすぎてなんだか物足りない, and something like Ajisen Ramen is way too rich こてこてすぎ~ for me. Kuro is just right. Yum.

I've been going to Maruichi for years, and I still remember the day when I saw somebody order ramen to go. Whoa~? I tell you, I was so surprised that I almost fell from the chair! HOW CAN YOU TAKE OUT RAMEN??? Any ramen chef in Japan would throw her out instantly!


麺がのびちゃうでしょー?


ラーメンが泣いちゃう!


I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND...


Another unbelievable thing is that I've witnessed a woman asking for a take-out container at least five times. How can you NOT finish a bowl of ramen??? Don't even think about eating ramen if you're on a diet! Or you really cannot eat that much? You must be kidding!

Ramen alone is never enough for me, so I ALWAYS order combo deals. At Maruichi, Combo A comes with ramen + three pieces of gyoza + a bowl of steamed rice. You'll get three pieces of California rolls (YES, California Rolls! Did you see the title of my blog? Whoever sushi chef who invented this sushi in the U.S. was a genius! I was born in Japan, but since I don't eat raw fish, they kicked me out of the country.) instead of plain rice if you order Combo B.

Combo B with Kuro

Oh, one more thing. So many people call tonkOtsu ramen tonkAtsu by mistake, and that _BOTHERS_ me!!! People, tonkatsu (豚カツ) is pork cutlet! It's tonkotsu (豚骨, pork bone) that you want to order at a ramen place!

Wait a minute... I have ordered a bowl of Phở to go when I couldn't eat anything but rice noodle in soup because of morning sickness. Were the Vietnamese people laughing at me?

No comments:

Post a Comment